Saturday, October 18, 2014

7 Lessons Learned From Raising Missionary Support

I am excited that I will be returning to Africa in two days! I am getting back to work. Over this last year, I've met more people, gained more supporters, learned new ways to serve. Here are my top seven lessons learned since returning to America.

Mike Squires' Advisory Team: Doug Naruo, Al Roselius, (me), Derek Witty, Samuel Hatton


These lessons represent my own personal obervations.

(1) Not every missionary assignment is funded in the same way


I began serving as a missionary in 1994 with a denominational mission agency, with guaranteed salary and benefits. Support-raising was desired but not required, and I received only several hours training in it.

My second mission agency was a faith mission, which means we had to raise all of our own financial support; and we were supposed to tell that we had a financial need but not ask people to donate a specific amount. So I was not adequately trained in support-raising.

(2) Raising funds takes longer than you plan


During the 20 years since I began serving as a missionary I have knocked on many doors looking for people interested in missions, have discussed my missionary service with many people, and was known by many but supported by few.

(3) Raising funds is a lot more difficult than you might think


I wondered why it took so long to raise the necessary financial support. I had some formal one-on-one fundraising appointments, and discussed informally with lots of people, but the general attitude was “we’ll send you back to Africa - someday.”

It took much longer than expected to find the “people of peace’ who would get actively involved in the ministry God has placed on my heart. I encourage people to serve God where they are while supporting those who serve God elsewhere.

Apparently I was meant to raise awareness of global mission to a wider range of people. Raising missionary support involves talking to LOTS of people because we don’t know who God has prepared to respond.

(4) Just because people say they want to help, doesn't mean that they will financially support you


Numerous people expressed interest in helping me in some way, but failed to come through. So I had to ask many different folks to see who would actually get involved. People have accepted to help with only specific activities. That is one reason it took so long to raise the necessary financial support.

(5) Aim for "earning your keep" to cut costs on rent


It is preferable to seek lodging that is free or at least inexpensive, perhaps working part-time at the church instead of paying rent.

(6) Participating in many Bible studies is the best way to study up on the Word


This keeps me grounded in God’s Word, and connected to numerous other believers with whom I can share how I explain these Bible verses overseas. I participate in Bible studies or other small groups with various congregations, a total of 14 small groups at seven congregations. I am also very involved in men’s ministry, and have participated in 15 men’s retreats with five congregations.

(7) Form an Advisory Group / Missionary Sending Team


Recruited people to pray for my missionary service; encourage and advise me on fundraising strategy.

In summary, fundraising isn't always done the same way. Some people get funding from churches, some people get funding from one-on-one appointments. However, for me, it didn't work that easy for me. Proving that I am worthy of people's attention and support by adding value was key.

No comments:

Post a Comment