Saturday, August 24, 2013

My Missionary Service in Ghana, West Africa

Interview with Mike Squires on 8/22/13:
Q: In 1978 you gave your life to Christ in Mali, West Africa. How did God reach you amongst the unreached people of West Africa? Missionaries led me to Christ in 1978 while I was serving as a Peace Corps volunteer in the town of Gao in the Sahara Desert of northern Mali, West Africa. One way I show my gratitude is by serving as a missionary myself. During the nine years I served in secular community development the missionaries I worked next to served as role models, and my involvement in mission churches was the equivalent an apprenticeship, an on-the-job training in how to serve as a missionary in African villages.
Q: What was the most rewarding part of serving with Wycliffe's program in Togo? Strengthening the teaching and problem solving skills of the literacy supervisors, enabling them to be more effective helping people learn how to read and write in their own language and be more connected to the world. I trained them how to teach a wider range of topics that addressed the daily needs of the people.
Q: You have served in West Africa for 21 years. Why have you dedicated most of your Christian life to serving West Africa? I started studying West Africa when I was 12 years old, it has always fascinated me. I teach people how to work together to solve problems, and the villages of West Africa have many problems to solve, so I feel quite needed there.
Q: What is your legacy in Togo? I gave people hope that they can improve their lives spiritually and physically. I taught people how to work together to solve problems, and trained leaders. This training has led to previous co-workers becoming the president and secretary of the national church, and the church becoming an independent, self-governing partner church.
Q: How has God equipped you to serve in Ghana? After living among Africans for 19 years I understand their way of thinking, what their aspirations are, and how to help them improve their lives both spiritually and physically. During my years in Togo I served part-time next door in Ghana, so I am already familiar with Ghana.
Q: Team Expansion's mission of church planting seems vastly different from that of your last affiliation, Wycliffe Bible Translators. How does your mission change? After training literacy teachers in teaching and problem solving skills, I will resume training church leaders in leadership skills. Team Expansion Ghana works closely with the Wycliffe Bible Translators in local language media to spread the Gospel, so I am able to use the same skills I used with Wycliffe.

Q: Why is community development essential to church planting? Transformational development focuses on reconciliation of broken relationships with God, self, others and creation. God created each of us to serve Him, the Great Commandment and the Great Commission, despite obstacles, thus we are only fulfilling the purpose for which we were created. Community development, teaching people how to work together to accomplish goals and objectives and solve problems,  is therefore a large part of our vision of sharing Christ with those with whom we work. Loving people in practical ways allows them to know we care and opens up doors for sharing the love of God through Bible stories. Jesus ministered to people in all aspects of their lives, and commands us to do the same. Africans do not divide life into sacred and secular domains, so the people expect us to address the various parts of life. Practical applications of Christian values are used to educate the church and community members in the relevance of the Gospel message to address life’s obstacles. We stress the role of the Scriptures and literacy in the development of the community. This methodology complements our work training people for Indigenous Church Planting Movements. This involves local people creating laymen-led house churches, which then create other laymen-led house churches and so on, as the early churches did. Missionaries and church leaders train these lay leaders and supervise how these house churches reproduce while clearly representing the Gospel message.

No comments:

Post a Comment