Tuesday, March 11, 2014

From California Missions to Africa Missions and Financial Support

As many of you know, I am eagerly trying to raise support so that I can go on my mission to Ghana in West Africa. Sometimes I get asked the following questions:

Why go to Ghana? AND What will you do there?


The need for Church Planting Movements in Ghana, a country a little smaller than the state of Oregon on the south coast of West Africa, is that some people groups are only 2% Christian.

The Gospel was brought to Ghana many years ago, but the ethnic groups I will serve have been resistant to the Gospel message since it wasn’t taught in their language, so they think it is alien, foreign to their culture. That is why we are working hard to provide the Gospel message in the language they speak at home. Our emphasis is on evangelism, discipleship, leadership training, literacy, health and agriculture. I give people hope that they can improve their lives both spiritually and physically, teach people how to work together to solve problems, and train leaders.


Mike Squires Training African Literacy Supervisors


This training has led to previous co-workers becoming the president and secretary of the national church, and the church becoming an independent, self-governing partner church. They are carrying on the work in Togo, freeing me to serve across the border in Ghana, about 250 miles from where I served in Togo for 16 years. Since my vocation is teaching people how to work together to solve problems, and the villages of West Africa have many problems to solve, I feel quite needed there.

In the Mean Time - California Missions


While preparing to serve in Ghana I am serving my supporting churches in California, through numerous Bible studies, men’s ministry, encouraging people, and encouraging interest in missions. I am revising existing lessons and preparing new lessons to teach. During my first two decades serving in West Africa I taught Africans what I knew so I am learning a lot more to teach upon my return. 


Target Date

My target date for arriving in Ghana is June 1st.  There is much work to do to advance God’s Kingdom in Ghana so I am eager to resume serving God in West Africa.

Financial Needs

No Team Expansion missionary receives a guaranteed salary, all Team Expansion missionaries are required to raise support to meet monthly and special financial needs required for service in a foreign field. Regular financial support provides the fuel that enables ministry to occur. The income received from financial partners pays for housing, monthly living expenses, transportation, program supplies, training, health, life and retirement insurance, and visas. I cannot begin my assignment until I have 100% of my monthly support quota pledged.

Will you consider joining my team in prayer, financial support, or both to help reach the people of Ghana?

The best way to support this mission is through recurring donations. This can be done online through monthly, quarterly, or annual donations through Team Expansion. To set up recurring donations,
  1. Go to online to “www.teamexpansion.org
  2. Click on the top navigation “give online” link.
  3. Click “online!” in the phrase “If you are paying by check or credit card, you can make a donation or set up recurring payments online!
  4. This will bring up the Team Expansion web-form.
  5. Where it asks, “Would you like to make this a recurring donation?” Be sure that “Yes” is selected.
  6. Where it asks, “Missionary/Project Name,” Enter “Mike Squires”
  7. Be sure to click, “Review & Submit” at the bottom of the form.
If you have any questions or get stuck during this process you may contact Team Expansion at 1-800-447-0800.

1 comment: